Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Skinless, Boneless Chicken "Wings" Recipe


Like many of you, I have been trying to get my family to eat healthier.  It can be hard because they don't want to give up all of their favourites like pizza, burgers and chicken wings.  I have come up with a healthier recipe for chicken "wings" that my family enjoys more than the regular kind.  In fact, when I made these the other night Mr. P declared that he loves eating food he doesn't have to work for!

This is my recipe for skinless, boneless chicken "wings".

Ingredients

skinless, boneless chicken thighs (each thigh makes 2 "wings" so use as many as you need - I serve 6 "wings" per person)
salt and pepper to taste
sauce - your choice of wing sauce - hot, medium, mild or, our favourite, honey garlic (recipe below)

Cut chicken thighs in half.


Shape each half into a rough chicken wing shape and place on a cookie sheet.


Keep going until all of your thighs are cut and shaped and then salt and pepper to taste.


Place in a 350 oven for 20 minutes.  At this point you can start your sauce if you are making it from scratch.  Here is my recipe for a delicious Honey Garlic sauce.

Honey Garlic Sauce
 

Ingredients

3 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. hoisen sauce (can be found in the Asian section of your grocery store)
1 tbsp. soy sauce
1 tsp. freshly grated ginger root
1 large clove of garlic, minced
few drops of sesame oil
1/4 tsp. curry powder
1/4 tsp. coriander

In a small bowl, combine honey, hoisen sauce and soy sauce.


I use a small grater to grate in the garlic and ginger.


Add all the other ingredients and whisk together.


Set aside for later.

After 20 minutes take the "wings" out of the oven.


At this point they are completely cooked and you can toss them in a bowl with any bottled sauce that you would like but I like to go an extra step.  I now put the "wings" on the grill to give them more flavour and to caramelize the sauce.


Baste "wings" with the sauce until there are some nice grill marks and the sauce has caramelized.


Serve with some ranch dressing, celery and carrot sticks and you will have a healthy meal that your family will enjoy. 


Give them a try and tell me what you think!


3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. If you use my honey garlic sauce then be sure to let it caramelize either on the grill or under the broiler for a little. It's pretty strong otherwise!

      Delete
  2. These look soooo yummie...Just the recipe I've been looking for. I like the idea of thighs, they are juicy and tender. Will make to take to a Christmas party.

    ReplyDelete